At the time of the bridge's opening, Novonikolayevsk had a population of 7,800 people. Its first bank opened in 1906, and a total of five banks were operating by 1915.In 1907, Novonikolayevsk, now with a population exceeding 47,000, was granted town status with full rights for self-government.
The great Soviet famine of 1932–33 resulted in more than 170,000 rural refugees seeking food and safety in Novosibirsk.
They were settled in barracks at the outskirts of the city, giving rise to slums such as Bolshaya Nakhalovka, Malaya Nakhalovka, and others.
It superseded nearby Krivoshchekovskaya village, which was founded in 1696.
The bridge was completed in the spring of 1897, making the new settlement the regional transport hub.
Neglect in the 1990s while other areas were redeveloped helped preserve it in the post-Soviet era.
During Joseph Stalin's industrialization effort, Novosibirsk secured its place as one of the largest industrial centers of Siberia.For the first time in the city's history, the population of Novonikolayevsk began to decline.The Soviet Workers' and Soldiers' Deputies of Novonikolayevsk took control of the city in December 1917.In May 1918, the Czechoslovak Legion rose in opposition to the revolutionary government and, together with the White Guards, captured Novonikolayevsk.The Red Army took the city in 1919, retaining it throughout the rest of the Civil War.Between 19 more than 50 substantial factories were crated up and relocated from western Russia to Novosibirsk in order to reduce the risk of their destruction through war, and at this time the city became a major supply base for the Red Army.