Rowupdating get new value

I have a dynamically created gridview, it's autogeneratedcolumns is set to True, and it databinds on every postback. If i move the databind to load (which fires before the Row Updating) it ceases to work correctly, and the newvalues are null. Dim o Conn as new Sql Connection("") Dim o Cmd as new Sql Command("Update Sp", o Conn) o Cmd. Guys maybe it's just Friday evening and I've already had 1 Guinness to ease the tension, but you two just flew about 30,000 feet over my head. Crack open reflector and look at the Grid View's source code. The event arguments will ALWAYS be empty unless you are bound to a datasource control. created the following code in VB, and though it runs without error, it's not doing anything for me. This is such a monumental show stopper after all the work I have put into this web site, I can't believe there isn't a straight forward method of retrieving the new values. Edit Index) Dim dict Values As New Ordered Dictionary Dim o Ctl As Control For Each o Ctl In gv Row. Row State, False) End If Next Dim dict Entry As Dictionary Entry For Each dict Entry In dict Values Try Msg Box(dict Entry. To String) Catch ex As Exception End Try Next Public Shared Function Get Values(row As Grid View Row) As IDictionary (Of String, Object ) Dim values = New Ordered Dictionary() For Each control As Control In row. Unfortunately I am getting identical results...same I have always been getting which is just the old values. Try to write a small sample with one column and that one event and see if it works. Now, when an user edit a row then click update, I'm having problem getting the new values in gridview's rowupdating event, it always returns the old values. With that being said you could go directly after the form post data perhaps, i usually find it's easiest to debug then search through and find your key value pair. I'll take a closer look at your posts maybe tomorrow, and definitely Monday, but I'm just a hack, and I so close to dumping this whole thing and lettting someone else do it...whooops there isn't anyone else... The new values are not being retrieved, just the old values. Excuse my crude Msg Box methos; it only goes to prove what a hack I am. Controls Dim dcfc Cell As Data Control Field Cell = o Ctl If dcfc Cell Is DBNull. Controls Dim cell As Data Control Field Cell = Try Cast(control, Data Control Field Cell) If cell Is Not Nothing And Also cell. By the way, when I attempted to cut and paste your code, the compiler would not accept the arguments (String, Object) at the end of IDictionary, saying that IDictionary has no parameters, and also in the return values portion below it complains that Dictionary is not a type. Dictionary is a generic type and you have to include System. I'm not sure whats going on in your case Yes I am getting the exact data that's in the edit row. It's a record that looks similar to the other data in the database, but it is defintiely different values so I am confident that I am looking at the edit row. Eureka, and phoooey....yeah, that was the problem, but now I have to solve another problem.

| insert an extra label into the Item Template Field (and sometimes also the edit Template Field)

Grid View has a method that is unfortunately protected called Extract Row Values. Auto Generate Edit Button = True Then i Col Date = 8 i Col Proj Stat = 10 End If Dim lbl Text As Label For i Row = 0 To Track Projects. Edit Index Then i Row = 1 If i Row = Track Projects. Count Then Exit For lbl Text = Direct Cast(gv Track Projects. Find Control("lbl Project Status"), Label) Try If In Str(lbl Text. Then there are a couple more steps to make it to where you adding the selected value in the update) Yes, you are correct, I am not using any datasources for the gridview, but in the Itemtemplate and the Edit Item Template the Text parameter is set equal to a bind statement as follows (see the example further down where i ref a datasource for the ddl): Or in the case of the drop down list I am binding with the Selected Value parameter, but of course you can see I lied and am pointing to a different datasource completely for my list. I know its very annoying and hard to get the data out of the data controls (gridview in this case), but there are other things you can do to make it easier.